In the Willows...

In the Willows...

Monday, August 17, 2009

Biker Girl Chronicles....

I put about 450 miles on my bike this looooonnnnggg weekend. Riding up and down our beautiful lakes this weekend, hitting towns like Watkins Glen, Penn Yan, Hammondsport, Seneca Falls, Auburn, Ithaca...just to name a few....

I have discovered a whole new world being in the driver seat of the bike. I have never considered myself to be a bird watcher, I think they are pretty and enjoy them but identification has always eluded me, but now, if you had an identification board of birds flying at your face BUTT first with their little claws clinched trying to slow down and not hit you, I could tell them apart.... but only from the Butt view mind you. I think gold finches have a death wish....

I have also discovered I can ride with a bug crawling around on my eye and not freak out....
Hit my forehead and fell behind my glasses... Didn't think much about it till this black thing started crossing my field of vision, then he was crawling on my eye, (yes, I shut it) and I calmly at 65mph pulled my glasses out far enough for him to crawl out and let the wind take his butt to parts unknown.... I was hoping the windshield of the car behind me....

I loved the sun on my face and back, the smell of the lake and the corn fields, the wind in my face and the feeling of peace and freedom....

It's a serious gig, riding a bike, always assuming that car is going to pull out in front of you, making sure you are visible to everyone around you, just being prepared for anything ahead, beside or behind you. It's a huge mental process.... but I absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, love every minute of it...

4 comments:

GUYK said...

heh...I can handle that bug crawling around...even the yellao stuff on my lasses when one bounces off my forehead and the yellow stuffs splatters...but what I had problems with was a four inch grasshopper darn near knocking me off the scoot. hat was when I invested in a bigger shield and a face mask attached to my helmet

COFFEE MAN said...

the june buggs in the south will knock u off the bike at 65 mph , no kidding feels like gettin hit with a bullet.

Ed said...

Just wait till one splats on your forehead..YECHHH!!

Mrs Snow said...

Hi hun..

I am SOOO jealous!!!!! Well not of the bugs and bird butts ..You can keep those *GRIN*..

Sue :)