In the Willows...

In the Willows...

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Going to town.....when your 3ft tall....

Going to town when I was a kid was a lot different than it is now....

Going to town meant one of two things, grocery shopping or tractor parts.... either was fine with me.... So mom would load us into the death trap she was currently driving (the death trap needs its own post, really!) and off to town we would go... Town was usually Mecklenburg or Perry City... Tractor parts were Perry City...

And in the door way of Wrights (your one stop Mom and Pop tractor everything place) would sit Ole Mr. Wright (his son and his wife ran the place) Mr. Wright always had a bag of pink peppermint candies....Jackpot..... needless to say, us kids really liked ole man Wright... Even if he smelled like old man and tobacco... I mean really, you could have gotten us kids in a car, yelling candy at the drop of a hat.... CANDY, hell ya, lets go......

They also had toys on the shelves of the tractor place, my brother would stand there and drool.... No, don't get me wrong, he didn't drool because he liked the toys... he always drooled, some kind of problem with his lips not being able to keep it in his mouth.... seems to have grown out of it...could have been from sucking his thumb (that's its own post too).

Next door was the Perry City Market, another Mom and Pop place, just a few groceries, I think the man who owned it was Mack, but what I remember about there was my mom buying the best bologna in the world, yes bologna was a huge treat... and my brother became a wanted felon at the Perry City Market.... the shame, and relief that I don't have to live with this story, he does....he was such a light weight, Pansy.....


This huge hamlet of Perry City was all on one 4 corner stop... out in the middle of no where, but to me it was town...what did I know I was only 3 ft tall....

1 comment:

DayPhoto said...

I hope you are putting these memories in a book, complete with photos for my grandchildren to ponder.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/