In the Willows...

In the Willows...

Monday, June 13, 2011

What is in a name?

Truly.... a lot

My name means something... Historically, locally... So when you find yourself in a position where you have to consider changing it... Yee Gads... For me it was a grand amount of soul searching... When I married my children's dad, I took his name but I missed my birth name... I am very proud of my birth name: Searles...

More than the name, I've always been proud to be my fathers daughter... See, my dad's name gets attention in these parts... WHY you may ask? No, not because his is wealthy or a land baron, quite the opposite... saying my family was poor makes me feel like I somehow put them in a lower class, so let's say my family has Chosen to live simply... I mean I never realized that we lived simply... I know I didn't have everything everyone else had and yes as a kid I said typical kid things( I mean everyone wanted a Walkman), but it never made me sad...

My dad's name gets recognized because he is a man of principal, in all situations, work, farming, hunting, family and dealing with his fellow man... he is also a man many would never seek to cross... Not for fear of retaliation...because disapproval of a man like my dad leaves you feeling,less that fit to be walking among good people.. He leads a life of examples... if your hungry he will feed you and show you how to grow what you need, or hunt it... if your needing in money, he will show you how to use your hands to earn a living... if your needing in a friend, he will only give solicited advise... if you need love, he will tell you to look back to your family, for its always there...
He is also the guy that if you need a part for an agricultural piece of equipment, it's in his hedgerow or he knows where its in someones hedgerow...

As you can tell, I hold my father in very high esteem, not just because he is my dad, but because I find him to always be a good human...

So a few weeks ago when I had to sign my marriage certificate I had to make some choices... I didn't want to loose my middle name because both of my grandmothers middle name was Marie.. So I added it to my first name, took my maiden name as my middle name and my husbands last name. Now, I feel like my name reflex who I am on the inside, Me, my grandmothers name sake, my fathers daughter and the woman my husband wanted to give his name to. That's whats in my name...

3 comments:

COFFEE MAN said...

Usally a bunch of Letters !

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

try again, smarty pants...

COFFEE MAN said...

Ok now its a WHOLE BUNCHA letters !

ROFL